By Shane A. – Legit Taste Records
How “Slaps.com” (distrokid’s new music social media network) could end up being one of the last “social” platforms left standing.
Slaps .com is the sound cloud style social media platform built on top of Distrokid. Here’s why I think its gonna matter in the next 5 years:
- The attention on a lot of true social media sites (Instagram, twitter) is fleeting, especially when it comes to promoting music. When twitter first became popular around 2009-10, there weren’t many artists promoting their music. In fact when I released my mixtape “Desperate Decapitation”, I was able to gather A LOT of support from people I had never met, simply because the demand for fresh new music on a newly popular platform (similar to how “Tik Tok” is today for new music.). Aside from that I’ve watched artists like Curren$y, Wiz khalifa and Dom kennedy build up their fan bases (and tour the world) in the most organic way. The basic rule of supply and demand applies with any platform. Once everyone’s promoting their own music (or even worse, their friends music who they don’t listen to but are trying to get you to listen to) the chances of your music getting heard become slim to none.
- I believe Slaps.com could be the next Twitter 2009-10 (as far as promoting music just based on the lack of volume alone in its early stage.
2. Niche, Niche, Niche
- Time to state the obvious advantage the platform has: Demographic. Not only is the platform built on top of one of the distribution platforms in the world, but it’s used by the most important target audience: A&Rs and executives.
- Music men will be on this platform SPECIFICALLY to listen to music, especially if they’re already utilizing distrokid’s platform.
3. Quality of the User
- One of the problems we have with modern social media sites (Instagram, twitter, etc) is that there’s a lot of “noise” noise is usually in the form of the spam accounts and burner accounts from trolls and “over-advertisers” as I like to call them. Because the users on slaps.com are mainly gonna be paying monthly users of distrokid, they’ll be significantly less of this noise.
- The amount of artists and executives on this new platform will allow connecting and getting feedback on your work to happen quicker than ever.
We don’t know if the accident was due to faulty tech on Apple’s part quite yet, but we do know that their Self-Driving car was rear ended by a Nissan in the Bay Area.
Check out the full story HERE
Apple drops 70 new emojis on the Mac, iPad, Apple watch and iPhone, in celebration of ‘World Emoji Day‘. Check out the full gallery and learn more by Clicking Here
Germany’s Philip Frenzel is an engineering student who designed a revolutionary new case for your iPhone. The patented mobile case deploys prongs upon freefall that protect your phone from damage! Check it out below:
Within the next 12 years, IKEA plans on becoming ‘planet positive’. In addition to their goal of moving into complete clean energy by 2020, they are also getting rid of single-use plastic products in their stores. Say goodbye to their disposable plates, forks and plastic straws.
Read more on Fortune
Apple iOS 12, just changed the game. Their newest update will add, among other features, Group facetime. The add-on will allow up to 32 people on one FT call. Watch the video below for more information on the update:
Apple unveils new iOS at WWDC 2018 from CNBC.
After the success of the Fortnite mobile app (over $1 million a day), Epic Games is taking the next jump as far as mobile. Eurogamer leaked a list, originally appearing on 4chan, that also suggested that Fortnite will be coming to Nintendo switch.
Update: FORTNITE x NINTENDO SWITCH (TRAILER)
After a year in the making, Tinder & Foursquare announce their partnership. Foursquare will integrate it’s Pilgrim technology to build Tinder Places. The new technology will allow users to use location to help find potential matches. The matches will be based on where each user spends their leisure & highlight what they’re interested in i.e where they walk their dog, which movie theaters they go to, where they like to eat/get coffee, etc.
Read more at The Verge
FL studio 20, the newest FL software, is now available for Mac. The updated software includes multiple ‘arrangements’ for working on multiple versions of the same project at the same time.
Read more here at Pitchwork